How can we make IEEE more relevant?
To find out more, watch the video below
I have spoken at over 200 IEEE events in all ten IEEE regions. My close association with members and volunteers at grassroots level gives me insights. I can easily empathize with academics, young professionals, mid-career industry engineers, and women and under-represented minorities, in particular. This helps me to address your needs by developing appropriate programs to advance your professional development. I pledge to:
Powerfully demonstrate IEEE’s relevance to current and prospective members
- Proactive outreach demonstrating benefits of IEEE membership
- Highlight the unparalleled networking opportunities at over 2000 international IEEE conferences held annually
- Provide access to massive resources for up-skilling and innovative collaboration facilities with like-minded colleagues worldwide that IEEE makes available
Recognize the contributions our volunteers make for our publications and standards
- Reviewers of IEEE journal papers will earn points which they can redeem to download published papers
- Volunteers who contribute to guides and standards development can have access to these documents for their own use
Make IEEE stronger, more relevant, more global and more assertive
- Provide broader member benefits and ensure financial transparency and stability
- Promote new and innovative products and services for IEEE members
- Deliver closer ties with industry and grow industry membership
- Ascend geographical and political barriers to allow equal volunteer participation in IEEE
- Better recognize contributions of female and under-represented minority members
- Advance IEEE as a leader for addressing global challenges like Sustainable Development by working closely with other global technical professional societies
Together we will make IEEE a more successful and resilient global technical organization
(Nominated by Petition)
Joseph R. Loring Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Arlington, Virginia, USA
I am the founding director of the Advanced Research Institute at Virginia Tech. I have served as the chair of the US National Science Foundation Advisory Committee for International Science and Engineering. I am the founder of BEM Controls, LLC, a software company which provides building energy efficiency solutions.
I have trained over forty doctoral/postdoctoral students. I am a Distinguished Lecturer for the IEEE Power & Energy Society, and have lectured in over 30 countries on Smart Grid, IoT and Sustainable Energy in six continents.
I was awarded the IEEE Millennium Medal in 2000 for outstanding achievements and contributions to IEEE. I am a 2014 Honoree of the IEEE Technical Activities Board Hall of Honor. I received the Outstanding Power Engineering Educator Award from PES in 2013. I received the Meritorious Service Award in 2012, the highest award bestowed by PES. I received the IEEE-USA Professional Achievement Award in 2011.
- Member, IEEE TAB/PSPB Products & Services Committee, 2018 and 2020.
- Member, Board of Governors, IEEE Society for the Social Implications of Technology, 2014 – 2016.
- Vice Chair, IEEE Publications Board, 2010.
- Chair, IEEE Products & Services Committee, 2007 – 2010.
- Director, IEEE Board of Directors, 2006
- Chair, IEEE Publications Board, 2006.
- Vice Chair, IEEE Publication Services and Products Board, 2004 – 2005
- Chair, IEEE TAB Periodicals Committee, 2004 – 2005.
- Member, IEEE Information Technology Strategic Committee, 2003 – 2004.
- Chair, IEEE EAB Lifelong Learning Council, 2002.
- Chair, IEEE Society Education Committee, 1999 – 2001.
- Member, IEEE TAB Periodicals Committee, 2001 – 2003.
- Member, Southeastern Electric Utility Research Group, 1986.
- Awards Chairman, Virginia Mountain Section, IEEE, 1986 – 1987.
- Member, Executive Committee, Virginia Mountain Section, IEEE, 1986 – 1987.
- Chair, Virginia Mountain Section, IEEE, 1985 – 1986.
- Member, IEEE Virginia Council, 1985 – 1986.
- Vice-Chairman, Virginia Mountain Section, IEEE, 1984 – 1985.
Power & Energy Society
- Past-President and Member of the Gov Board, IEEE Power & Energy Society, 2020 – 2021.
- President and Member of the Gov Board, IEEE Power & Energy Society, 2018 – 2019.
- President-elect and Member of the Gov Board, IEEE Power & Energy Society, 2016 – 2017.
- Vice President, Publications and Member of the Gov Board, IEEE Power & Energy Society, 2012 – 2013.
- Vice President, New Initiatives & Outreach and Member of the Gov Board, IEEE Power & Energy Society, 2008 – 2011.
- Vice President, Technical Information Services, IEEE Power Engineering Society, 2001 – 2003.
- Vice President, Education/Industry Relations, IEEE Power Engineering Society, 1999 – 2000.
- Chair, Virginia Mountain Chapter, IEEE PES, 1981 – 1982.
- Secretary/Treasurer, Virginia Mountain Chapter, IEEE PES, 1980 – 1981.
- Member, IEEE PES Long Range System Planning Task Force, 1980 – 1986.
- General Chair, IEEE PES ISGT Conference, Washington DC 2013, 2014 and 2015
- General co-Chair, IEEE Asia Pacific Power & Energy Engineering Conference, Wuhan, China 2010